Ecko, the Mastodon Fork
hier ist die Anleitung auf Deutsch.
What is Ecko?
Ecko is a Mastodon fork with many cool features, that Mastodon doesn't have. It follows the Collective Code Construction Contract or C4 to e.g. add features that are deemed valuable by the community. This is a difference from Mastodon, where Gargron decides which features Mastodon should have on his own even against the public opinion.
What features does Ecko have, that Mastodon doesn't?
The admin can change the following values in the config file:
- max toot length
- max poll options
- max poll answer length
- max profile metadata fields
- max length of “about me” text
- max number of pinned toots
The admin can also upload a favicon in the admin settings and import/export the instance blocklist. Furthermore local toots are possible. Those are toots that can only be seen by people on the same instance.
Where can I find an Ecko instance to join as a user?
How do I install Ecko?
How do I modify Ecko?
To modify different values you have to edit the config file, which is located at
Here are the steps to edit the file, when you installed ecko via YunoHost.
- start the terminal on your computer
- enter your YunoHost admin password
sudo suto gain root access
- press the insert key on your keyboard to start editing
- to finish editing press the escape key
- to save the file enter
:wq!and pess enter
exit3 times to close the terminal
- now go to your YunoHost admin panel
- go to services and restart the Ecko services